The Quacken is a relatively easy boss mob to kill. When facing the Quacken, the biggest dangers to the player are boat damage and Wetness caused by the continuous surge of Big Waves created by the Quacken's tentacles. It is very likely that the player's boat will lose a significant portion of its durability while fighting the Quacken. For this reason, using a fully repaired, durable boat (such as the Armored Boat) and having at least one Boat Repair Kit in the player's inventory is recommended. Water resistant clothes are also recommended, as the waves will quickly soak any player not wearing them.
After the Quacken spawns, the player can sail directly to its head while avoiding its tentacles. The map can be useful for locating the head if it is not already on screen. Once the head has been reached, repeatedly attacking it with even a basic Spear will cause the Quacken to retreat and submerge fairly quickly. It will then reappear a short distance away. If the player's boat was heavily damaged during the first attack, this brief pause in the fight provides ample opportunity to use a Boat Repair Kit.
Repeating the above process 3 additional times will kill the Quacken.
- Iron KeyやBooty Bagといったドロップアイテムは、まれにChest of the Depthsの裏側に隠れていることがあります。その時は視点を回転させれば見つけることができます。
- When killed the second time, and every consecutive kill after, it will not drop the Iron Key.
- Quacken's name is a portmanteau on the name of the Kraken, a legendary sea monster that looks like a giant octopus, and "Quack", an onomatopoeia of a duck's call. Though, curiously, the Quacken seems to create high-pitched whistles and squawks rather than quacks. It also lacks any distinguishing features of a duck. Instead, has a small black beak (a common feature of octopi and squid) rather than a duck-like bill.
- Its attack in which it lobs a large ball of black ink towards the player is a parallel to a defense mechanism used by real life octupi and squid, where, when threatened, they release a large cloud of dark, black ink around them. This allows them to distract and temporarily disable their attacker's vision while they quickly and swiftly escape the scene.
- The Quacken was introduced in the update called "Release the Quacken!" This is a play-on-words of the iconic line from the 1981 film "The Clash of the Titans" where Zeus says "Release the Kraken!"
- If one is using a Trawl Net or fighting a Quacken near the edge of the map, it is possible that the head will spawn or resurface in the fog surrounding the map. This will cause the head to be unreachable since every time the player approaches it, they will teleport to the other side of the map.
- There is also a chance that the Quacken may spawn in with only the tentacles, and not the head, therefore making it impossible to kill the Quacken and get the loot. The tentacles can still be killed, but the head will never spawn in.